Friday, October 3, 2008

Liver Biopsy


So I had to go to Toronto West Hospital for a liver biopsy which wasn’t very painful, just stressful.  I arrived at 6:45 (AM EEEeek!) but couldn’t get to the fourth floor because there was some lock on the elevator.  Eventually all patients were assembled outside waiting room at 7:00 but no staff and no chairs!  One of the patients had had a biopsy there previously and said that no-one arrived until 7:30 - she was right.  So we all had to sit on the floor until 7:30 when a staff member turned up to let us in to the waiting room. 

I wasn't seen by a doctor until 10:30 and then he did my biopsy, trying twice to get the needle in before sending me off for an ultrasound biopsy (where they can actually see what they're doing as they're doing it, so less risk of hitting the lungs etc, yes I know, why don't they do it that way anyway - I wondered that too!) So you can see why I was stressed.  

Then they wheeled me off on the gurney to another floor, still slightly sedated so the ceiling was spinning and I was feeling the whole journey like my breast or my bum might be hanging out in the stupid gown I was wearing.  The nurse in the Ultrasound fiddled round by the liver entrance hole where the previous Doctor had jabbed me and I winced. Luckily this made her realise that I needed more sedation so the rest of the visit went well as she took care of me! I even had to have one of those oxygen things on my nose so I felt like an extra on 'House'.


My liver, bless him, isn't complaining at all today.



No comments:

ticker factory